Stone Wall Boundaries

It's been a good day to get some of the jobs needed to be done before winter. That may be an odd thing to say at the end of summer but winter rolls in fast around here. For the last two years I have been saying that I will point our front boundary wall. Before I started the job you could see daylight through some of the holes.

Stone wall close up


I did this over two days, the first day was actually hot. That's right we had sun, glorious back burning sun that saw me slap on the factor 50 and a hat. What a difference 24 hours can make, on the second day it was overcast and as one neighbour 'pointed' out, perfect weather to point a wall. So, out came the cement, sand and lime, mixed 1:3:1. It's always worth while to buy a pointing trowel. You can use a normal trowel but when facing stone it can be a little harder. I am no master craftsman when it comes to pointing, I am more a slap it in and see kind of pointer. This is where a dry paint brush comes in handy. I use it to brush off the excess after 30 minutes.


South facing boundary wall

I don't leave my pointing proud, this is when it is raised above the stone work. I know many people who promote this as a way of pointing but I have never liked the look and the way I do it is to bevel the pointing so any rain flows down off the wall. My concerns about raised pointing on a south facing wall open to the elements is that the pointing will pool the ice and rain, causing stone damage. I may be wrong about this but I have seen the kind of water damage concrete can do to a building and as we strip off black concrete in the kitchen we are faced with the damage it has done at low level as moisture was trapped.

Cows in the field opposite

That aside, we can now look over a sturdier wall to the views beyond. Late summer and the cows are eating the last grass before they will vanish indoors for winter.