Monday, November 19, 2012

I spy a pie

As my husband would be the first to tell you there is nothing like a pie.
  

Steak and Kidney, Meat and Potato, Cheese and Onion, Apple.  He is there. Plate in hand, with a big smile upon his face.

He is the same with sausages, but I am sorry to say I don't share that passion. But pie, yes, pie is OK, I can cope with pie.  

Then through the post came Not So Humble Pies by Kelly Jaggers (published by Adams Media) and I can't think of anything else.

I'm like a woman obsessed and Andrew is pinning half our larder down, lest it end up under the cover of pastry and baked at 180 C.

Forget blackberries and apples these recipes are all about new and indulgent ingredients, like pomegranates, fresh figs even sea salt. I am being haunted by the thoughts of Blood Orange Curd Pie in particular, I love blood oranges...mmm... there I go again.

But back to the book itself, which is divided into three parts. In the first section are instructions to make pastry, crusts and toppings. There's lots of variety including Almond Pastry, Lemon and Lavender Short Crust Pastry and Chocolate Cookie Crust.  Fancy a pecan streusel or oat crumble to finish it off? Those are just two of twelve mix and match toppings. The second is about sweet pies from creams, custards and chiffons, to fruit nuts and berries to tarts, tartlets and rustic pies. Finally come savories; dinner pies and spicy, salty and exotic pies. In total there are more that 100 different pies to try.

With many of the recipes there is a dangerously luscious picture, guaranteed to put a firm dent into the strongest willpower. In particular the Bourbon Pecan Pie is particularly tempting...

These are not just any old pies, they are super pies. Now where did I put my rolling pin?

Not So Humble Pies by Kelly Jaggers (Adams Media) is $17.95 RRP 

This book was received free of charge for review
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...