Shed Cleaning: Getting Oiled Up

The boiled linseed oil is out, the tools with wooden handles are down off their hooks and a rag is in hand.

Oiling up your garden tools.

There is nothing more satisfying after Christmas to get out in the garden and do something. The weather on Pig Row at this time of year is of two types, gales or gales with rain. Today, we've had the latter and as I pulled out the tools, stacking them carefully against the fence the heavens opened and I was forced into the sodden utility shed. The roof of this will really have to be made water tight this summer, the felt just isn't cutting the mustard up here and I will have to put up something hardy and corrugated on it. It will give me chance to empty the shed, repaint it, put on gutters and seal all the cracks. In the meantime, here I am, rag in hand, tools propped against the old kitchen unit from the house now recycled as storage. Time to polish furiously and make my neighbours wonder why the handle of my long hoe keeps poking in and out of the open shed doors in a suggestive way. At least at the end the tools will be oiled, back on their hooks and all those pesky pots that I will have to wash in February will be stacked ready to clean. The act of oiling is easy, just a little oil poured on the rag and then polish the wood on your tools, moving the cloth back and forth covering every part of the wood. You can also use the rag to clean the metal too. Then remove any excess with the same rag.


Oiling up your garden tools.

Just shows what a good oiling will do to your tools and your self esteem. A tidy shed is a happy gardener. At least I will get chance to mess it up again come spring.

Oiling up your garden tools.