Autumn: A Windowsill for All Seasons in the House

There has been a part of the front room that has been waiting patiently for some time, spring came and summer exploded like a damp squib, and this part of the front room sighed and told us to go outside and play while the sun shone, the bean grew and the dahlias rioted in the borders. Now those salad days are gone and this patient part of our house has been waiting, looking at its watch, sighing and probably waiting for a cup of tea that never came. It is the remaking of a windowsill.

How to build a stone windowsill



We have been waiting for the weather to break, and one day last week we had a dry day, dry enough to do the windowsill but too damp to plant daffodils. We managed to cut all the stone in one morning because come lunch the heavens opened again, and the winds howled. We did have some mishaps, an excited grinder that cut one stone too short even though it could see the bloody line drawn on it, this did mean another trip for more stone but it worked in our favour in the end, allowing us to have different sized stones on our new windowsill. Just remember to measure, measure again, find the centre of your windowsill - so measure front and back, no guarantee that your windowsill is level or even the same length at front as it is at the back (our's was over 23mm out!). Measure each stone as the windowsill may also have different widths from one end to another, our windowsill at one end was 10mm wider than at the other, so you have to cut the stone to fit as you go along. Also, remember to leave a lip to go over the edge of the window, our windowsill sticks out around 15mm.


Fitting a new stone windowsill

It was then a simple task of masking tape around the base of the window as mortar scratches, mixing some mortar, using a couple of spirit levels, a lot of patience and remembering to put down dust sheets, which was all done as the rain beat the outside into submission. 
  
How to make stone windowsills

We peeled off the masking tape when the mortar was still damp, this allowed us to point any areas missed, this was done with a steady hand and a beating heart as we didn't want to smear it up the window. There was a scary moment when we both sneezed. Then we left the whole lot to dry. After that, the stone was cleaned. We used some wire wool to take off any errant mortar and then sealed the lot with five coats of sealant polish we had left over from doing the kitchen floor. The stone is actually garden stone, for use on patios, it was much cheaper than the stone that was available for use inside because the cut is more coarse, it also fits the house better, in that rustic-been-here-for-years-way. We hope it will be here for years.

0 comments:

Post a Comment