Taking Down the Staging

Before reading our post, please support us and follow us on our Facebook Page, you can ask us a question about growing or cooking via twitter or subscribe to some great how to films on our YouTube Channel. If you like what you see, share us with family and friends. Share in our day to day successes and epic cock ups in our hillside garden on top of the world, be brought back down to earth with good tastes from our kitchen. For we are the Oldhams' and for us it's all about the good life.

Homemade staging, how to make staging, life on pig row

It's been five years since we built our own staging costing us a tear inducing £2.78. That's right we built twelve foot of staging for less than £3. It's still one of our most popular posts and for half a decade the staging has served us well. However, we want more space in the greenhouse and with plans to place another greenhouse beside this one we have decided to shift the staging to the shed for it to be used next year in our new purpose built shed. As we kept the design of our staging simple it takes less than an hour to pull it down and put it back up in the shed. It comes in handy as new storage.

Greenhouse

It takes longer to transport all the plastic pots and we fill a compost sack with broken pots, but keep the rest for using. D is pressed into finding any pots with cracks in them and there is a mix of questions and screams as spiders scurry out of them. Though we agree with getting rid of plastic in the garden we do not want to send usable pots to landfill or the furnace. We've all agreed on that as we could fill several cars with the pots we have collected over the years. We will keep using them and as they break we'll replace them with more sustainable products that have a longer shelf life. We've done this kind of change with peat compost, we made the switch to coir a few years back and haven't looked back. It has also saved out backs too as coir blocks are easier to carry than a 70 litre bag of compost. Under the staging we had a nice surprise, finding things we hadn't used in awhile including: root trainers (hate them and will give them away), several propagator lids (in use as we type) and a large propagator (used to bring the chillies back indoors with the temperatures dropping this week). We also came across several ferns that had seeded in the barrier membrane. These have been potted up. The soil beneath the membrane is in better condition than when we covered it but we did put down a thick mulch of well rotted manure before we covered over in the event we decided to press this bed back into action.

Ferns

By early evening and the greenhouse has been cleared, cleaned and the watering mat laid over the barrier membrane so we can start sowing seeds. With the drop in temperature we are holding off for awhile. We've had to wrap up the tomatoes and keep our fingers crossed as the gauge nudges towards zero here.

Greenhouse matting

Long term we will take the barrier and mat up and plant straight into the bed so we can compare traditional tomato growing beside hydroponics. That way we will be able to show you a true comparison.

0 comments:

Post a Comment